Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Running with Moses

I am a runner, as many of my friends may know, but running here is different. To me running is a somewhat religious experience, it is a moment of life were you are alone in your own mind, you are able to learn new things about yourself, and are able to enjoy nature in a new light. Every time I run it is a brief pause from all stress in my life to just relax and focus on only what is happening in another 30 seconds, when running all out with pain searing though your lungs and calf muscles all other worries fade.

In Israel though, and on my kibbutz specifically, running takes on a new meaning. Every morning when I get up and put on my shorts, shoes, and shirt I know what I will see on my run will amaze me. I begin my run with the mountains of Jordan on my left, and they are beautiful. In the warm, clear morning air you can see their every detail, their rich colors, and majestic beauty. It looks like a painting done by a master, almost too real to be real. But these mountains soon fade as the road curves and the plain of the Beit Shean valley spreads out before me with its vibrant assortment of green and yellow colors spread out below me. In America each tree looks similar to the one next to it, but in Israel each one is distinct and different from its neighbor. The beauty of assortment and variety is too difficult for me even put into words.

But as I round another curve the view changes to the mountains of Judea and Samaria, as they too rise with their own majestic beauty. Their sharp curves and dusty detail are a sight to behold each morning. Then as I round yet another curve palm trees obstruct my view and I get to soak up the view of the milk and honey of the earth. As far as my eye can see spreads out the wealth of the earth, and the sweat and toil of Jews in their own land becomes apparent.

Each and every morning the scenery takes on a new view or meaning. Either the Jordanian mountains are covered in mist or a single tree stands out in the valley more than usual, but without fail the scenery is an inspiration making running a religious experience on a whole new level.

As a note writing this piece is hard for me as I feel I am not doing due diligence to the places I am trying to describe, the beauty is nearly beyond words for me. While West Point and the Hudson River may be beautiful, Israel is beautiful on a level no other place in the world can compete with. I am not sure I even know how to capture the full beauty with pictures, but I will try.

1 comment:

  1. Technically, Moses never entered the Holy Land, but I get the sentiment, all of which I totally agree with.

    ReplyDelete